End of Semester Reflection - Graphic Design

What did you do this Semester?

   For the first few weeks of the semester, the class started out by going through tutorials to learn photoshop and illustrator, teaching the students the way of the software, explaining the ways to use it.  We went through the uses and techniques, the knowledge with the softwares will stay with me forever in my Graphic Design path. Being in Graphic Design I learned many things, such as creating a collage of multiple images, as shown in the image to the right. Along with other projects that were completed with photoshop, we went over the uses of illustrator as well. Creating a racoon postcard. 
  The Racoon postcard was inspired by Alex Russo, Selena Gomez' character on Wizards of Waverly Place. The layout on the right goes through the steps of creating the template and postcard. I started out with an Italian theme, because of my background in Italian heritage. The rough draft is based off the aesthetic that I seem to follow. The tropical leaves theme was replaced by Italian symbolism for a more simplistic feel and look. This project took place over a month. I struggled severely with the design process, due to the fact that I couldn't figure out how I wanted to layout the postcard song with the typography, or if I should go with the Tropical Leaves theme. All typography put onto the postcard was handwritten. 


 
  Following the postcard, the next project was a vectored headshot, the original photo is shown above, the photo was chosen because it was supposedly simplistic to do for the vectored side of things. Although, it was not. This was by far the hardest, and most struggling project I have ever done. I personally do not feel accomplished what so ever, I feel as though I had failed this project. It could have been due to lack of time, but also the lack of knowledge and talent in this field. The vectored headshot is shown down below. I personally ran out of time along with the fact that I was not comfortable with my project to begin with.



  The most recent project was an infographic that took over 2 weeks to complete. The infographic I chose to complete was over Selena Gomez. I went with a very nude, beige and pastel color palette. I went with a very silhouette look for the photos so they had a black and white look to it. The fonts used for this project were apart of Selena Gomez' album "When the Stars Dance". The font was found online and I personally felt it added a huge part to the project such as uniqueness and more of a Selena Gomez feel. This was one of my favorite projects I've ever completed, due to the fact that it was Selena Gomez and she is an inspiration and idol to me. The project was also easier since I got to have a personal connection. 

  As a graphic design student, everything done is primarily focused on looks and originality. As a student that allows me to grow and prosper in the right direction. Giving me the time to improve in the field of graphic design. I plan to grow more in the field, and the time spent on the projects. I believe I am slower in many places, but I know I can improve in those places. My strengths are shown through the creative process, I believe. I truly enjoy the creative process and the actual process of how things are laid out and shown. I can not wait for my future in the Graphic Design strand of E-Communication. 

  One thing I loved most about this semester was the ability to put my own creative spin on things and to be able to have a unique spin on my project from everyone else. Although, I truly believe I'm behind everyone because of their abilities and mine, how they differ. Then again, everyone has their own unique styles, such as aesthetics and own unique styles. Using time in class is a very easy way to make the projects easier. Taking the time to research and make the project better is a more effective way to have a beautiful, and well done project. To complete the projects I do on time I always make sure to have a solid game plan when wanting to create a unique project. Using this method to stay away from the time crunch has helped with my projects. Its easier for me to truly understand my project due to the fact that I use my time wisely. I like to take the time that I'm given and create a project that has the full potential to be made by a professional. Outside of class I use my free time on photoshop, using the software to create unique things on my favorite celebrities. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logo

What is Graphic Design?