No Film School Blog Post

Franchesca Manzella
Screenwriting


https://nofilmschool.com/2017/05/why-screenwriting-rules-are-myth

     I chose to do this topic over screenwriting, its not what I was involved with for The Hidden, but thats because I wasn't really given a role for that film. I chose something Im very interested in and actively working on all the time. No Film School has multiple articles on how screenwriting rules are "myths" and tips and tricks. This specific article talked about how screenwriters should have no true base of how to write an accurate screenplay. It goes over how critics or mobs will debunk a script just based off what they personally believe. One writer said, "If you have to use flashbacks, your script is s***". It then lists and goes into multiple major grossing films who have in fact used flashbacks as a major form of their script.
    Another form of concept people believe can't make a good script, is writing what you can't show. Such as if you're writing a short story. It then gives examples of specific scripts that use this technique to master their script. The reason these myths have taken place in screenwriting culture are because most people who are teaching people to write screenplays have never actually sold one, so they turn to "How- to" books. Because of this, it puts them in a one way is right, one way is wrong, trance.
    Currently I am working on a very in-depth treatment for a screenplay I plan to start writing in about a year or so once I have a lengthy treatment. This article really helped me see what I always thought wasn't okay, is okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logo

What is Graphic Design?